Yorkshire Terrier, Watch Out for Dog Food Poisoning!

The effects of food poisoning on dogs can be fatal in some cases and even ordinary foods can be poisonous to dogs so pet owners must beware when feeding their dogs leftovers and tidbits. Regardless of the fact that even well known brands of pet food can cause food poisoning in dogs due to accidental contamination, there are also many foods that contain toxins that are harmful to dogs. For example, some sugarless candies contain xylitol which it has recently been discovered can give dogs food poisoning that can result in liver damage and even death. Chocolate is another everyday product that can have severe side effects in dogs.

There are many signs of food poisoning to look for in dogs such as lethargic movements and a complete loss of appetite. Yellow jaundiced eyes and gums can indicate liver damage and food poisoning in dogs. Vomiting can also be an indication that the dog ingested toxic substances. It can take a number of days before a dog shows any signs of illness but if you fear that they may have eaten poisoned food, take them to a veterinarian even if they seem well.

Preventing Food Poisoning in Dogs

In order to prevent the harmful effects of food poisoning in dogs, there are a number of steps and precautions that pet owners can take. Limiting the amount of raw meat and especially fish that your dog regularly eats can prevent infections caused by bacteria and parasites. Moldy and gone off food should never be given to a dog to save it from being wasted. Chocolate and sweets are not good for dogs because of certain ingredients but also because the fat content is too excessive for a dog’s system. Excessive amounts of onion, garlic and other ingredients used in most kitchens can become quite toxic to a dog.

Handling a dog’s food should be treated hygienically in the same way as human food should be. Dogs may have stronger stomachs in one sense but they are also sensitive to bacteria and infections. A dog cannot tell its owner if it experiences symptoms that indicate sickness and by the time the symptoms become obvious to the owner’s eyes, the dog may already have suffered the effects of food poisoning. The longer an illness is allowed to prolong, the more expensive the vet’s bills will be if the illness becomes serious.

Comments are closed.